Click here for directions.
Click here for Dr. Meisterling’s hospital and surgery center affiliations.
Before your Appointment
Please arrive early for your appointment in order to complete the registration process. In addition, please bring the following:
- Drivers License or state ID
- Insurance information
- Referral (if required by insurer)
Please bring all records from another physician, provider, or hospital to your appointment. If you do not have copies, please contact the physician, provider or hospital prior to your appointment with Dr. Meisterling to let them know that we will be requesting them.
After your Appointment
You will be called by the MRI or diagnostic facility to schedule your scan or diagnostic test. Our clinical assistant will call you with the results. Depending on the findings of your scan or tests, you may or may not need a follow-up appointment in the clinic with Dr. Meisterling.
It is your responsibility to obtain the necessary paperwork and send it to our office BEFORE surgery.
Please send all paperwork to Dr. Meisterling’s clinical assistant via fax or mail. These must be sent two business days prior to surgery. Please don’t bring these on the day of surgery.
Forms can be mailed to any of Dr. Meisterling’s clinic locations.
- 48 hours after surgery with a bandage covering the incision.
- Aquacel and Mepilex dressing can be wet immediately. This dressing is used for Total Joint Replacements. This will remain in place for 14 days until we see you back in clinic for your first post-op appointment.
- Yes, most patients are given narcotic pain medications unless there are allergies or other concerns.
- Other medications might be prescribed along with your pain medicine to assist with pain control.
- Anti-inflammatory medications might be used if you are not taking blood thinners (Coumadin, Xarelto, etc.). These can be used along with your pain medication.
- Many narcotics already have acetaminophen (Tylenol) in them. Do not take additional Tylenol with these medications. You may take Tylenol if it is not already combined with your pain medication.
- Total Joint Replacements – Aspirin (325mg) will be taken twice daily for 6 weeks after discharge from the hospital.
- Prescription blood thinners will be prescribed on a case to case basis.
- Ice is best to reduce inflammation.
- You may use heat once the swelling is controlled. This can help with stiffness and soreness.
- Dr. Meisterling will speak with your family and friends immediately following surgery, either in person or via phone. In the hospital, you will be followed by a Physician Assistant from Twin Cities Orthopedics (TCO).
- You will be seen by Dr. Meisterling’s PA, at your first post-op appointment, 14 days after surgery. Most questions can be answered at that appointment.
- Dr. Meisterling will typically see you at your second post-op appointment.
- He will make very effort to see you in the hospital prior to discharge. However, he is at different locations each day of the week, so this may not be possible. Please know that he is monitoring your care either via phone nursing staff or through the daily rounding member of the TCO staff.
- When you feel ready, and work will allow your return.
- This can be discussed at your first post-op appointment.
At least 2 weeks after surgery and when you are off pain medications.
Our team is here to help you with any concerns you may have going forward after your surgery. If there are concerns that are NOT covered on this FAQ page, please contact our office.
- During office hours (8:00 am-4:00 pm) please call 651-351-2636.
- If you need immediate assistance, call 651-439-8807, select the “operator” option and have our team paged overhead.
- During the weekend or after hours, please call 651-439-8807 and you will be directed to the on-call physician or physician assistant.